Monday, September 20, 2010

Monday memory: the volcano sisters

We found out at least 3 seasons of the Backyardigans are available for instant watching on Netflix. So we've now watched most of three seasons in the last month or so. This is one of the more tolerable children's shows for me to watch, although my favorite remains the Muppet Show, which the kids also loved.

Meg and Drew always liked watching Backyardigans and dancing to the music. Meg always pretended to be Tasha and Drew was Uniqua. I was occasionally allowed to be Tyrone or Pablo, but Meg objected to the idea that I wanted to pretend to be a boy, although never to Drew pretending to be a girl. After Drew died, she said I could be Uniqua now because Drew was gone.

Their favorite was the Legend of the Volcano sisters. In it Tasha and Uniqua are the volcano sisters and they spend time saying "We are mad" very loudly until eventually the others invite them to the luau. While Meg and Drew enjoyed dancing and watching the shows, this is the only one they pretended to be after watching. They would sit on the back of the couch and yell delightedly "We are mad!"

Fortunately I was not around when Meg decided to rewatch the episode last week. My husband said it was more pleasant to remember than he thought it would be. Perhaps it will be, I'm sure I'll get a chance to watch it with her eventually.

2 comments:

  1. Such a great memory to hold onto!
    Evan used to watch it also. Thinking of you today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen the Backyardigans although they do feature on a pair of Jessica's sandals!

    I like Meg's objection to you wanting to be a boy but not to Drew being a girl.

    I hope that it will be more pleasant than painful to watch this episode with your little girl.

    ReplyDelete